The Flocking Birds Minna Blouse

I’m alive!!  I realize it’s been radio silence over at T&C lately, but there’s good reason for that: I had nothing to show you!!!  I failed at making myself sit down and sew this month.  February is always busy – it’s my birthday month!  Which means lots of celebrating…and lots of recovering from said celebrations (this part seems to get more and more difficult with each birthday…what’s up with that?!)

Anyway, I finally finished something!  Meet my new Minna Blouse from Salme Patterns:

Flocking Birds 1

First of all, I’ve got to say that I’m absolutely in LOVE with this fabric, and I’m still kicking myself for only buying one yard of it.  It is a lovely printed silk from Britex Fabrics.  I’ve decided that I want to live in bird-printed clothing.  It just makes you happy.

Flocking Birds 2

Grandma! What big ROOTS you have!

I also really like this pattern – it is the perfect work blouse.  I agree with other reviews that the instructions are minimal in the hand-holding department, but that’s just fine with me.  I pretty much learned how to sew from YouTube and sewing blogs, so refreshing my memory for a few techniques is nothing new.

Flocking Birds 3

I’ve mentioned that seam finishes are my kryptonite, and it’s quite obvious in this top.  I have no less than 4 different seam finishes in this baby!  So, forgive me for not showing you the gruesome innards…it’s for your own good.  No matter…the top looks beautiful on the outside so I’m not too upset about the seam-finishing-smorgasbord.

Back View Collage

I think I’ll be wearing my new birdie blouse quite often.  I’m still working on making more garments that I CAN wear often, instead of always making special things.

Flocking Birds 6

My next project will be Advance 2170, a 1940′s robe pattern as a birthday gift for my Mom.  I’m also going to be participating in the Elisalex Sewalong, which will be my first sewalong ever…you could say I’m freakin excited!  Who else is planning on making an Elisalex?  Rumor on the street is that there will be a Reversalex too!!

About these ads

Tagged: , , ,

20 thoughts on “The Flocking Birds Minna Blouse

1. Gjeometry March 7, 2013 at 10:51 am Reply

Absolutely gorgeous!! I loved this fabric and was wondering what you were going to do with it. And, that blouse? Love it! Looks not too difficult but I think is so flattering, I must get a copy of that pattern I had never heard of Salme patterns till now. How is the fit? i.e., did you get your size or does it fit big or small? Oh, and Happy belated B-Day.

• Thimble & Cork March 7, 2013 at 11:12 am Reply

Thank you! This pattern wasn’t difficult at all, and the shirt is so comfy – I definitely recommend it! The fit actually worked out perfectly. I did make a muslin, but it fit fine so I didn’t make any changes to the pattern. I think that the billowy design and the drape of the fabric made fitting a breeze too. My problems are usually in the length of bodices, so I didn’t really have to worry about that here. I’m excited to see your progress on the anti-80′s dress!

2. Sweet Little Chickadee March 7, 2013 at 2:34 pm Reply

This is really cute! I have to admit that I also bought this pattern a little while ago and haven’t stitched it up yet… might have to soon though! Your version with the birds is super cute and kind of looks like something you could buy at Anthropologie (love that store!) I also just purchased some fabric for the Elisalex sewalong and am (eagerly) waiting to get it in the mail. Eeeek! Can’t wait! :-)

• Thimble & Cork March 7, 2013 at 3:34 pm Reply

Thank you, what a compliment! I love Anthropologie too – they have the cutest clothes. I can’t wait to see your Elisalex. I just got my pattern in a couple of days ago, and I’ll have to go fabric shopping this weekend. I can’t wait to get started!!

3. CGCouture March 7, 2013 at 5:08 pm Reply

You win! :-) You beat me done, and your results are awesome! Love the “Anthropology-esque” quirkiness! :-)

• Thimble & Cork March 7, 2013 at 7:28 pm Reply

Haha thanks! I can’t wait to see your Alma blouse!

4. Thimble & Cork March 7, 2013 at 7:41 pm Reply

After the comments that mention this looks like an Anthopologie top, I decided to wander on over to their website, and lookie what I found!!! This blouse is the exact same print! http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/shopsale-clothing/26116616.jsp

• Sweet Little Chickadee March 8, 2013 at 3:25 pm Reply

That’s really wild – how cool!! Honestly though, I like the style of your blouse with that fabric a lot more! :-)

I’ve been sewing up a few Briar tees lately and just noticed that Anthropologie has some tees that look really similar in their new spring line. They’re soooo much more expensive than I spent on my fabric for one though, and I kind of splurged on some nice knit fabric! I love to browse and get inspiration from there though. Anyway, hoping to have a blog post up about sewing the Briar this weekend, if you’re interested! :-)

• Thimble & Cork March 10, 2013 at 10:46 am

Thank you! I agree with you, it’s fun to look at their site for inspiration, but it is definitely less expensive to make your own versions of their clothes…and you get to make changes to the design so it’s exactly suited to your tastes. I look forward to seeing your Briar post!

5. CherryPix March 7, 2013 at 7:46 pm Reply

Great fabric! The front pleat is a nice feature – I haven’t heard of Salme patterns til now…thanks!

• Thimble & Cork March 7, 2013 at 8:01 pm Reply

Thank you! I fell in love with this fabric as soon as I saw it. It’s actually the first print that I’ve ever worked with I believe! I’m usually a “solids” person, but I just couldn’t say no to those little birdies :) Salme has some very pretty patterns – I’m drawn to the work-appropriate blouses especially. This was the first Salme pattern that I’ve used, but I really liked it.

6. M&K March 7, 2013 at 10:57 pm Reply

Love that top! You did a great job putting it together. And it looks fabulous on you! Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

• Thimble & Cork March 8, 2013 at 7:29 am Reply

Thank you very much! I checked out your blog and I think it’s great! I especially like today’s post – my Mom always reminded me of this when I would get down or discouraged growing up. Thanks for stopping by T&C :)

7. Britex Fabrics - Blog March 8, 2013 at 6:05 pm Reply

[...] springtime blouse – made of Britex Fabrics’ silk from our online store by Kacie from the blog Thimble and Cork. She says, “This was my first (online) purchase from Britex fabrics, and I will definitely be [...]

8. Angie March 19, 2013 at 2:15 pm Reply

Love this print! Perfect for spring time!

9. I won an award! | Sleek Silhouette April 9, 2013 at 4:39 pm Reply

[...] cork – I recently stumbled upon this blog, and I really like her style, especially her recent flocking birds blouse. It’s sent me on a bird fabric buying [...]

10. Sassy T April 18, 2013 at 10:44 am Reply

Love the top. Fabric is fab.

• Thimble & Cork April 18, 2013 at 11:29 am Reply

Thank you so much! Love the name…my niece calls me Aunt Sassy. It started because she couldn’t pronounce my name but it stuck…she’s a natural judge of character ;)

11. Award Season | Thimble & Cork April 29, 2013 at 7:52 pm Reply

[...] so I can’t say I have a “go-to” pattern.  I really enjoyed making the Sonja dress and the Minna blouse though, and I intend to revisit both of these patterns in the [...]