Happy Birthday Mom!

This weekend I visited my parents and was finally able to give my Mom her birthday gift!

I made her a 1940’s housecoat using Advance 2170.  This was originally intended as a Christmas gift, which is why it’s such an awfully WARM housecoat.  But, both my Mom and I constantly run on the cold end of the spectrum, so I’m sure she’ll still get some use out of it before the 100 degree summer days hit.

Mom and Dad are retired and live on several acres of land.  They love to spend their mornings drinking coffee on the porch, watching the wildlife in their backyard – they seriously have a little piece of Texas heaven.  Mom always wears a housecoat on these mornings, so I decided it would be nice to give her a fancy vintage one.  I inherited my love of the 1930’s and 1940’s from her, after all.

This project took much longer than anticipated – mostly because I decided to hand-stitch the entire lining into place!!  But I am absolutely thrilled with how it turned out.  I seem to do my best work when sewing for others.

043B

041B

Check out the pleated sleeves!  That’s my favorite detail – and Mom and Dad’s too.  Dad ooh’d and aah’d over Mom in her new housecoat a little bit :)  She does look elegant, does she not?

033B

My husband had the sweetest suggestion – I should hide a note to Mom in the robe.  It was originally going to be hidden in the lining, sort of as a secret blessing/wish for her.  But…I forgot!  In the end, we decided it would go inside the pocket, just stitched across the top so she could pull it out and read it whenever she wanted.  Mom was so touched by that little note – it made this gift even more special to her.

39B

040B

She adores her robe, and I’m so happy that I got to make something for her that makes her feel special.  She IS the most incredible person I’ve ever known after all!

029B

About these ads

Tagged: , ,

17 thoughts on “Happy Birthday Mom!

1. Katy April 23, 2013 at 12:13 pm Reply

What a gorgeous housecoat – and how touching that you left a note. I wish I could make such beautiful things for my mum!

• Thimble & Cork April 24, 2013 at 9:57 am Reply

Thanks Katy! And you CAN make such beautiful things for your Mom. Your garments are finished much more beautifully than mine!

2. Brooke April 23, 2013 at 12:17 pm Reply

It’s beautiful! I know your mom had to be thrilled with something so lovely! And she looks great in it. Everyone needs a robe that makes them feel pretty! =)

The note in the pocket is the sweetest detail ever! I love your fabric choices and the style lines.

(btw, I do better sewing for others than for myself too. Probably because I feel I can cut corners a little on things for myself when I’m the only one who will see the garment up close long enough to fully inspect it.)

• Thimble & Cork April 24, 2013 at 9:58 am Reply

Thank you! I agree completely – when week 2 rolls around and I’m not finished with something I’m making for myself, I start cutting corners. But I just can’t give someone else a garment that isn’t completed to perfection.

3. stephanie@mabelmakes April 23, 2013 at 12:54 pm Reply

Wow what an amazing project! You should be so proud of it! Your mom looks fab in it. She’ll look super glamorous now when drinking coffee on her porch :)

• Thimble & Cork April 24, 2013 at 10:00 am Reply

Thanks Stephanie! Yes, I hope she dances around the house in it like Ginger Rogers! I told Dad he’d have to play the part of Fred Astaire :)

4. CGCouture April 23, 2013 at 2:05 pm Reply

Great job, your mom looks very classy and elegant! And the note idea is awesome!

• Thimble & Cork April 24, 2013 at 10:01 am Reply

Thank you! Yeah it was so cool to see her read it when she found it – I wish I would have thought of it myself!

5. Gjeometry April 23, 2013 at 2:24 pm Reply

Oh, it’s beautiful, I’m sure your mom loves it! And Happy Birthday to your mom!!

• Thimble & Cork April 24, 2013 at 10:01 am Reply

Thank you thank you :) I’ll let her know my sewing friends wish her Happy Birthday. She’ll be thrilled!

6. sewamysew April 23, 2013 at 3:53 pm Reply

Hand stitched the hole lining in!!?? Now that’s love! I’m so with you on the Mum love, couldn’t do without mine.

• Thimble & Cork April 24, 2013 at 10:03 am Reply

Haha yeah, I’m sure there’s a better way to have done that, but I didn’t know how. The pattern didn’t call for a lining so I was kind of winging it at the end. But I find hand-stitching very relaxing so it wasn’t too bad…and it just made it more special I think. Moms are the greatest :)

7. seweverythingblog April 24, 2013 at 7:48 am Reply

Beautiful housecoat, and your mom looks gorgeous in it! I love the hidden note in the pocket – very creative and original. Congrats on a job well done, and Happy Birthday to your mom!

• Thimble & Cork April 24, 2013 at 10:04 am Reply

Thank you so much! Mom will be so happy to get these birthday wishes from my sewing friends :)

8. Karen April 24, 2013 at 11:13 am Reply

Your mom looks so elegant in that gorgeous robe. The term “housecoat” is one that is rarely used anymore – it’s wonderful to see a “proper” one again! And the idea for the hidden note – inspiring!

• Thimble & Cork April 24, 2013 at 11:41 am Reply

Thank you! It’s true, I hardly ever hear that term anymore. It was fun to see it on the pattern envelope. And I’m so glad that my husband had the idea for the note, it made all the difference :)

9. Award Season | Thimble & Cork April 29, 2013 at 7:52 pm Reply

[...] a couple of weeks ago, this would have been my Settle Down dress.  Now it’s my Mom’s housecoat.  I love using vintage patterns and this one fit Mom like a dream without any alterations at [...]