The Making of a Sewist

Today my dear friend came over to visit and we whipped up a new skirt for her!

Tea for Two

Tea for Two

She’s going to a music festival in a couple of weeks and wanted a bright, fun skirt for the occasion.  Since I’m going through a huge tribal phase right now, we headed to Spoonflower to check out their tribal prints and found the perfect one here:

Tribal Print FabricI coached, but she did all of the sewing herself!  She did such a great job – this skirt turned out beautifully.

Sewing

007

Learning the importance of pressing!

Learning the importance of pressing!

Check out these seam finishes:

Seam Finishes

Someone needs their own sewing blog, amirite?!

We ended up doing a dirndl skirt with an encased elastic waistband – sweet and simple to let the print take center stage.  Ready to see the finished product?

024

027 029

I’m so proud of my friend and her mad sewing skills.  We had so much fun we decided we weren’t quite done when we finished the skirt, so we made her a matching headband too :)

034I love sewing dates with friends!

About these ads

Tagged: , , , ,

20 thoughts on “The Making of a Sewist

1. Brooke May 19, 2013 at 7:58 pm Reply

Looks great and wonderful print matching! What a good beginning project – I hope your friend keeps it up! =)

• Thimble & Cork May 20, 2013 at 7:02 am Reply

I hope so too! It’s so fun to see someone else get excited about sewing :)

2. Creatively Motivated May 20, 2013 at 12:18 am Reply

And so the sewing community grows! -Nizzy

3. ClaireE May 20, 2013 at 1:12 am Reply

Great skirt! I too love sewing with others. I hope your friend continues to sew!

• Thimble & Cork May 20, 2013 at 7:03 am Reply

Thanks! I hope so too! It would be so much fun to have sewing dates all the time.

4. Amanda May 20, 2013 at 4:19 am Reply

What a great first project! Such lovely and neat seam finishes – I’m totes jealous! And loving the headband :D

• Thimble & Cork May 20, 2013 at 7:09 am Reply

I’m pretty jealous too! My seam finishes feel neglected after seeing hers!

5. oonaballoona May 20, 2013 at 8:51 am Reply

HOLY GORGEOUS PRINT!!!

• Thimble & Cork May 20, 2013 at 10:05 am Reply

Isn’t it great?! Such a fun print for her. Gotta love spoonflower!

6. CGCouture May 20, 2013 at 11:21 am Reply

She did a great job (and so did her coach!), hope she keeps it up! :-)

• Thimble & Cork May 27, 2013 at 10:23 am Reply

Thanks! She DID do a great job – I’m so proud :) She’s really excited about sewing so hopefully she’ll become another hopeless addict like the rest of us!

7. macstabby May 20, 2013 at 4:55 pm Reply

Super cute skirt and headband! She’ll have to make it to Coachella next year.
    Can I have her legs, please?

• Thimble & Cork May 21, 2013 at 11:36 am Reply

She would love Coachella – and I would love to have her legs too! :)

8. Gjeometry May 20, 2013 at 6:28 pm Reply

What a great project! How fun to have a friend to help you out in sewing. Wish I had some friends around me that sewed. Lovely fabric as well.

• Thimble & Cork May 21, 2013 at 11:37 am Reply

It was a lot of fun to sew together – I’m working on getting her setup with a machine of her own so she can REALLY get addicted!

9. Gjeometry May 20, 2013 at 6:48 pm Reply

Also wanted to let you know I won a Pattern Pyramid and just posted it on my blog. If you are interested, feel free to have a look and enter!

10. goodbyevalentino July 5, 2013 at 5:17 am Reply

What a good friend you are! The skirt is so cute :)

• Thimble & Cork July 6, 2013 at 10:32 am Reply

Thank you, I’m so glad to have a friend that is interested in sewing. The more the merrier!