Shoji vs. Papell

If you follow me on instagram or twitter you already know that I’ll have the opportunity to take a week-long couture sewing class with Susan Khalje next month.  We’ve been instructed to have a muslin made of our project so Susan can fit us and we can work on the final garment in class.

I knew that I wanted to make a dress to wear to my company Christmas party this year, and when I found this gorgeous Tadashi Shoji dress at Nordstrom, I was immediately inspired to make my own:

Source: Nordstom.com

Source: Nordstom.com

Today, I was getting photos to put in my sewing planner when I happened across this little beauty by Adrianna Papell:

Source: Nordstom.com

Source: Nordstom.com

Notice any similarities?

I mean, really!  The Papell dress has a slightly lower neckline, a slimmer belt and matching rather than contrast lining…other than that, they’re identical.  How does that happen?  Are these brands linked and I just don’t know about it?  When does imitation become a problem in the fashion industry?  I couldn’t find anything online about the similarities of these two dresses, but surely someone has noticed.

This has presented me with quite the conundrum.  The Tadashi Shoji dress is over $300, which is why I was planning to make my own version of it.  But the Papell dress is almost half that price.  I seriously doubt I could purchase the fabric I want for much less than the cost of the Adrianna Papell dress.

So, do I continue with my plan to make a T&C version of this dress even though I could probably buy it for less?  And if I do buy the Adrianna Papell dress for the Christmas party, then what do I make during my week of couture classes with Susan?

I did just buy V8902 and am excited to make it, so I suppose that could be a good project.  And I can always use more work dresses.

V8902

Still, the thought of planning out the Shoji dress with those sheer strips was intriguing, and I’d love to have Susan’s help with techniques that I’ve never used before, like working with lace.  But I feel a little foolish about making an imitation of a dress that I could purchase for less.

I need your input sewcialists!  Please help me decide what to make next month!

Tagged: , , , , ,

19 thoughts on “Shoji vs. Papell

1. Funnygrrl July 9, 2013 at 11:28 am Reply

Wow! They are so similar. Like exactly.
    I have made dresses that I could have bought for cheaper. I know that my fit will always be better than store bought. And I love that I get to chose the fabric. It’s also great to learn techniques that will be used for other projects.
    I say make your dream dress! You won’t regret it!

• Thimble & Cork July 9, 2013 at 12:13 pm Reply

Thank you for your input! You’re absolutely right about learning the techniques and getting the fit absolutely perfect. That would definitely be a perk to making it myself.

2. Brooke July 9, 2013 at 11:52 am Reply

If an off-the-rack dress is exactly the right fit, color, and style you want – buy it. If not, make it in the fabric and colors you like, even if it costs more. Most custom clothing does not cost less. (I’ve ranted a little about this on my blog.)

About no one noticing the similarities: I bet a few people have but since the style isn’t copyrighted, there’s probably nothing that can be done. And lots of people don’t see the same dress or outfit unless it’s the same color & fabric, which is why people have a hard time seeing something different that the cover art on sewing pattern envelopes.

• Thimble & Cork July 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm Reply

You know, I never really thought about it like that before, but you’re absolutely right. If I were paying somone ELSE to make this dress, I would absolutey expect it to be more expensive than off the rack. I’ll go try the dress on in person and see how it fits. Hopefully that will help me decide. Thanks Brooke :)

3. Karen July 9, 2013 at 12:43 pm Reply

First of all – you will LOVE your class with Susan (I just finished her Classic French Jacket Class and there are not superlatives enough to describe what a fabulous teacher she is.) So – I have to say that A. Papell dresses are very, very nice. Some of my favorite RTW over the years have been that brand – nicely made, beautiful fabrics, excellent styling. But they are “off the rack.” I suspect that under Susan’s tutelage, you will be very happy if you make this “dream” dress. It looks to me like the perfect project for your class. And just think, after all you learn from Susan, you will feel extra confident to make a stunning V8902!

• Thimble & Cork July 9, 2013 at 3:42 pm Reply

Oohh the Classic French Jacket Class sounds wonderful! I’m a little behind on my blog reading but just saw that you have some posts up about this class so I’m excited to read more about it. I got to take a weekend class with Susan last year and I was blown away by how much I learned in two days, so I’m thrilled to have an entire week with her. You’re right, this would be the perfect project for her class. It would be challenging so I’ll definitely want the extra help. I think I’ll find the Papell dress in-store and try it on. Maybe it will fit me horribly and solve all my problems :)

4. CGCouture July 9, 2013 at 5:51 pm Reply

The dresses are very pretty, in spite of one blatantly copying the other. I would say it depends on your color preference. Personally, I think I’d make my own, because then I could have more color options (like say, red). But, if you want a black dress anyway, I’d probably just buy it if it fits relatively well.

• Thimble & Cork July 18, 2013 at 10:22 am Reply

Good point about the color. I’ve always wanted an emerald green Christmas party dress, so this will be the perfect opportunity!

5. theperfectnose July 9, 2013 at 6:47 pm Reply

Make it. The techniques you learn will be priceless acquisitions and if you buy the cheaper one just because it’s cheaper you’ll be rewarding plagiarism and laziness. XD

• Thimble & Cork July 18, 2013 at 10:21 am Reply

I would definitely like to learn these techniques, so you’re absolutely right. I should make it myself. An even better version :)

6. Amanda July 11, 2013 at 3:49 am Reply

I say make it. You can tailor this to your exact fit AND learn rad new skills! :D

• Thimble & Cork July 18, 2013 at 10:20 am Reply

Very true! I have always wanted to make a dress with the sheer panelling on the hem, so I guess now is the perfect time to do it. Thanks Amanda!

7. stephanie@mabelmakes July 15, 2013 at 5:11 pm Reply

I think this was a couture fashion trend this year (can’t remember which label right now) that has made its way through the mid range labels now too. I think you should make it. It will turn out great :)

• Thimble & Cork July 18, 2013 at 10:19 am Reply

That would certainly explain the similarities. I think I will take everyone’s advice and give it a go :) Thanks Stephanie!

8. Zoe August 1, 2013 at 11:59 pm Reply

It depends how much you want the dress. Personally, I think you would gain more from the class by making a more complicated dress. As previously mentioned, you also get to customize exactly how you want it, which is always a bonus!

• Thimble & Cork August 2, 2013 at 8:35 am Reply

So true, thank you for your input! I’ve decided to go ahead and make my own after all of the advice and encouragement from you guys. Thanks for giving me the boost I needed :)

9. teresa September 8, 2013 at 4:28 pm Reply

kacie! its teresa from susan khalje’s class. i did a search for bird printed silk and one of your posts came up on google images! i was super surprised to recognize you! hope work on your dress is progressing well.

• Thimble & Cork September 9, 2013 at 6:43 am Reply

Hi Teresa! So good to hear from you! My dress is coming along slowly but surely. I miss having so much time to work on it every day. I hope your Mom’s jacket is coming along well!

10. My Week with Susan | Thimble & Cork September 18, 2013 at 1:15 pm Reply

[…] couture class and I was fortunate enough to get to attend. I followed the always-brilliant advice of you lovely readers and started working on my own version of the Tadashi Shoji dress that I so […]